I'm young and I make emotionally-charged posts in a stream-of-consciousness style. Drunk with passion, I will be wrong most of the time. Call me on it and help me learn. It is embarrassing to look back at my mistakes, but I will grow.

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Productivity

I've come to the conclusion that I need to buy a USB stick. I know, it's a little late, everyone has a USB stick or two or three on their keychain these days, right? Well, not us poor kids, slaving away for the man at two jobs and going to school at the same time. We prefer e-mailing ourselves our homework and stuff to print instead of putting it on a stick. Why am I making the switch from GMail as a storage device to a USB stick? Well, for one because I think it's simpler. I can just drag and drop whatever I need later onto a stick. I don't need to go search for it in GMail. I don't need to keep cluttering up my Inbox folder with unread messages so I remember where to find the stuff I need to download later. I don't like stars for this kind of stuff, I star almost everything. I don't want to click that dropdown to go to "Apply label" to apply some sort of "Download me" label to it. I hate dropdowns, they take too long, I'd rather use my keyboard. Sure, there's probably a cool shortcut and someone will comment on this article and tell me, and then I'll realize the error of my ways and regret buying a USB stick in the first place. Ubiquity comes in a close second. I'm always going to have my keys around. I'm not always going to have a superfast internet connection where I can just get to my e-mail and download a bunch of files. What if I'm at the office where we only have a shitty DSL connection? What if I'm trying to patch my mom's computer and her "lite" broadband connection only downloads at 20kb/sec? What if I'm trying to boot a computer to Linux so I can troubleshoot a problem, or just wipe Windows completely off of the box so that I can put Ubuntu on it? Just that list of likely scenarios and the fact that it's less hassle is enough for me, really. But, I'll add another thing - it sucks trying to store a MonkeyPirateTiddlyWiki in your GMail account.

No comments: